Local News
McKinney Fire Department reminds the community to clean and inspect fireplaces
By McKinney Fire Department
Nov 8, 2017
Print this page
Email this article

Cool weather signals the time to review fireplace safety tips

McKinney, Texas (Nov 7, 2017) - Do the chilly temperatures have you dreaming of cozy gatherings around a brightly lit fire? Whether your ideal winter retreat is in the warm glow of the family room fireplace or sitting by a fire under the stars, the McKinney Fire Department (MFD) says safety should be your priority.

“Have your fireplace and wood stoves inspected before you begin using them each year,” says Fire Marshal Mike Smith. “It’s always a good idea to have your fireplace cleaned to remove creosote, which could ignite and start a dangerous chimney fire.”

MFD recommends using a tempered glass or metal screen over the fireplace opening to keep sparks inside. Never use papers, trash or liquid fuel in your fireplace and only burn wood in fireplaces or wood pellets in wood stoves.

Follow these safety tips to prevent injury around fire:

·        Keep anything that can burn or is flammable at least 3 feet away from fireplaces and wood stoves.

·        The openings can get hot enough to burn skin, so teach children and pets to steer clear of them.

·        Never leave children unattended around fire.

·        Never let children see you playing with fire. Fire is not a toy.

·        When finished with your fire, make sure to completely extinguish it before leaving the room or falling asleep.

·        When cleaning up, place the ashes inside a metal can with a lid. Store the can outside, away from the home, until the ashes are completely cold.

·        Store matches and lighters out of children’s sight and reach.

“Stay alert,” says Smith. “Watch children closely. Help them if you are roasting marshmallows or hot dogs over the coals. Remember that once a marshmallow or hot dog is cooked they are hot enough to burn a child’s skin.”

For more information on fire and life safety issues, visit www.McKinneyFire.org, view this safety video or call 972-547-2893.