School News
2018-2019 Child nutrition frequently asked questions
By Bonham ISD
Aug 24, 2018
Print this page
Email this article

How do I correctly fill out a Free and Reduced-Price Meal Application? Please be sure you are filling out the 2018-2019 application.

1) Step 1. Make sure you list all children in this section whether they are in school or not. If they are away at college, still list them in this step.

2) If your student is Foster, Head Start, or you are homeless, check the appropriate box and skip to Step 3.

3) If you participate in SNAP, TANF, or FDPIR, you will need to provide your Eligibility Determination Number (EDG). This is found on your official letter explaining your benefits. Child Nutrition cannot use a Case Number or Card Number.

4) Step 4. A) Give the number of ALL household members (adults and children). B) Provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) or check the box to indicate no SSN. C) Make sure you list ALL ADULT income in this section. D) If a child has income, please list it in this section.

5) Step 3. Please make sure you fill out all information in this section and sign the form.

Space is provided on the back of the application if you need more room. Please do not fill out the bottom of the back page.

Can I fill out the Free and Reduced-Price Meal Application online? Yes. There is a link to the application on the Bonham ISD website under the Parents tab.

How often do I need to fill out a Free and Reduced-Price Meal Application? You will need to fill out the application at the beginning of each year unless you receive a letter from Child Nutrition indicating you have already been approved for free meals.

Will my Free and Reduced-Price Meal Application be checked? Yes. We may ask you to send written proof of the reported household income.

Do I need to pay for lunches while my application is being processed? Yes. You are responsible for lunch payments until you receive notification that you have been approved for free or reduced-price meals.

Do you have a charge policy? Yes. Students are allowed to charge three (3) meals. On the 4th day, the student will receive an alternate meal. Students are not allowed to purchase an extra item if the amount of purchase would place them in the negative.

What is the cost for meals? Breakfast is provided for every student at no cost. Reduced-Price lunch is $.40. K-6th grade lunches are $2.50 per day; 7th-12th grade lunches are $3.00 per day. If you would like to pay weekly, reduced-price lunches would be $2.00 per week; K-6th grade would be $12.50 per week; 7th through 12th grades would be $15.00 per week.

Can I pay on my studentís account or track their spending online? Yes. You can go to You will need each studentís identification number to set up your account. You can get that number from your student, the school, or the Director of Child Nutrition. You do not have to keep a credit/debit card on file but there is a place to do so. You can set your account up to email or text you when your studentís account gets low. You can also track what they are purchasing in the cafeteria.

Is my studentís free or reduced-price eligibility confidential? Yes. The only people who know if a student is free, reduced-price, or full-pay is the Director of Child Nutrition and the Cashiers.

The Child Nutrition Department is dedicated to ensuring that you and your student have a positive experience with us. If you have questions or need help with anything, please do not hesitate to contact me. Phyllis Kinnaird, Child Nutrition Director at 903-640-5713 or email

The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number is not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules. In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: This institution is an equal opportunity provider.