Farm and Ranch
USDA issues safety-net and conservation payments to Texas farmers
Nov 10, 2018
Print this page
Email this article

College Station, Texas -- USDA Texas Farm Service Agency (FSA) Executive Director, Gary Six, announced that more than $296 million will be paid to Texas farms that enrolled in Agriculture Risk Coverage (ARC) and Price Loss Coverage (PLC) for 2017 market downturns. Additionally, Texas FSA will distribute more than $105 million in Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) rental payments to landowners for their commitment to conservation stewardship.

“ARC and PLC were authorized by the 2014 Farm Bill to protect farmers against unexpected drops in crop prices or revenues,” Six said. “These payments help provide reassurance to Texas farm families who continue to persevere, even in this tough farm economy.”

According to Six, PLC payments have triggered for 2017 barley, canola, corn, grain sorghum, wheat and other crops. In the next few months payments could trigger for rice, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, mustard seed, rapeseed, safflower, crambe, and sesame seed. Producers with bases enrolled in ARC for 2017 crops can visit for updated crop yields, prices, revenue and payment rates. In Texas, 250 counties have experienced a drop in price and/or revenues below the benchmark price established by the ARC or PLC programs and will receive payments.

“It’s important to remember that ARC and PLC payments by county can vary because average county yields will differ,” Six said.

Also, this week, USDA started issuing 2018 CRP payments to support voluntary conservation efforts on private lands. In Texas, landowners on nearly 14,000 contracts will receive compensation for efforts to improve water quality, reduce soil erosion and improve wildlife habitat.

“Since its inception in the 1980s, CRP has built upon the voluntary participation of farmers and landowners to take sensitive land out of production and establish land cover to improve the environment,” Six said.

For more information about USDA programs or to locate the nearest USDA Service Center, visit