Local News
Fire sprinkler stops apartment cooking fire in McKinney
By McKinney Fire Department
Nov 11, 2019
Print this page
Email this article

Pay attention when frying food

McKinney, Texas -- The McKinney Fire Department (MFD) responded to the report of a structure fire at The Rustic of McKinney Apartments (2700 North Brook Dr.) on Thursday, Nov. 7. MFD units found a single fire sprinkler had activated and extinguished a grease fire in a pan that was left on the stovetop.

No one was injured and the fire sprinkler reduced costly damage to a minimum as well as limited the amount of repair time tenants would be kept out of the apartment. Investigators say the resident was distracted by a cellphone when the fire broke out.

“Home fires caused by cooking peak around Thanksgiving and Christmas,” said Merit Ossian, McKinney Fire Department PIO and Education Coordinator. “With those holidays coming up, this is a good reminder to be diligent when you’ve got food on the stove or in the oven.”

More safety information can be located at www.mckinneyfire.org or www.nfpa.org.