IRS summer tax tips
Aug 28, 2022
Print this page
Email this article

Washington -- Most people may be thinking about summertime activities right now—not taxes—but it’s not a bad idea to give just a few thoughts to common situations that may affect next year’s tax return.

Remember to file

People who missed the April deadline or requested an extension to October 17 should be sure to file their return. Filing electronically is fast, accurate and secure. Eligible individuals can use the IRS Free File program to prepare and file their 2021 federal tax return for free. MilTax online software is offered through the Department of Defense for members of the military and certain veterans, regardless of income. “People who requested an extension can file as soon as they have all the information necessary to file an accurate return and avoid a last-minute panic in October,” said IRS spokesman Clay Sanford. 

Getting married

Newlyweds should report any name change to the Social Security Administration. They should also report an address change to the United States Postal Service, their employers and the IRS. To report a change of address for federal tax purposes, taxpayers must complete Form 8822, Change of Address and submit it to the IRS. This will help make sure they receive the documents they will need to file their taxes.  

Sending kids to summer day camp

Unlike overnight camps, the cost of summer day camp may count towards the child and dependent care credit

Working part-time

While summertime and part-time workers may not earn enough to owe federal income tax, they should remember to file a return. They'll need to file early next year to get a refund for taxes withheld from their checks this year. 

Gig economy work

Taxpayers may earn summer income by providing on-demand work, goods or services, often through a digital platform like an app or website. Examples include ride sharing, delivery services and other activities. Those who do are encouraged to visit the Gig Economy Tax Center at to learn more about how participating in the gig economy can affect their taxes.

Adjust withholding now to avoid tax surprises next year

Taxpayers can avoid a tax surprise next filing season by reviewing their withholding now. Life events like marriage, divorce, having a child, or a change in income can all affect taxes. The IRS Tax Withholding Estimator on helps employees assess their income tax, credits, adjustments and deductions and determine whether they need to change their withholding by submitting a new Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. Taxpayers should remember that, if needed, they should submit their new W-4 to their employer, not the IRS.