Farm and Ranch
  • AgriLife Extension's free Growing Season Prescribed Burn Workshop will be Aug. 29 in Gainesville. Growing season burns are typically much safer to implement due to high fuel moisture and the current year’s growth present, she said. This results in increased duration and dosage of heat necessary for managing invasive resprouting brush.
  • Galveston's Own Farmers Market is one of 27 organizations awarded a grant. According to Feeding America, 1 in 8 Americans struggles with hunger. In 2015, over 42 million people were food insecure. Food insecurity exists in every county in America. Millions of people are still struggling to get by because of underemployment, stagnant wages, rising costs of living, and lack of grocery stores causing food deserts in both urban and rural areas.
  • Dr. Nithya Rajan, left, with Dr. Guntur Subbarao, middle, and Dr. Santosh Deshpande, far right, at the BNI field test site at ICRISAT in Hyderabad, India. (Texas A&M AgriLife photo)
  • Courtney Daigle, assistant professor of animal welfare at Texas A&M University, shares ideas on the narrowing supply of quality stockmen and how cattlemen might find more top hands.
  • A pesticide applicator training is scheduled for Aug. 23 at the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service office in San Antonio. (Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service photo by Blair Fannin)
  • Pecan loads are hit and miss around the state following good spring and early summer moisture. (Texas A&M AgriLife Extension photo by Adam Russell)
  • Landowners with property in the Lavon Lake Watershed, which spans parts of Collin, Grayson, Fannin, and Hunt counties, are eligible for assistance under this program. Landowners in the watershed are eligible to receive a maximum financial incentive amount of $15,000. The maximum financial incentive rate shall not exceed 60% of the cost of implementation. The remaining 40% will be provided by the landowners. Financial incentives will be based on actual costs not to exceed the average of the practice. Examples of Best Management Practices (BMPs) available for implementation under this project are brush management, critical area planting, grassed waterways, and watering facilities.
  • An extreme case of cyanobacteria shows the bright turquoise color that gives them their common name of blue-green algae. However, this is an extreme, not a common case. (Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service photo by Dr. Todd Sink)
  • "This program is for anyone who is interested in aquaponics to grow their own food or for producers considering a small commercial farm," said Dr. Joe Masabni, AgriLife Extension small-acreage horticulturist, Overton.
  • What will ranching look like 100 years from now?
  • Horse flies can inflict serious wounds and introduce diseases to livestock. Livestock should be moved from infestation sites immediately to relieve and protect animals because chemical controls have shown minimal success abating horse flies, and many are not labeled for horses. (Texas A&M AgriLife Communications photo by Katie Hancock)
  • North Texas: A few counties reported adequate soil moisture, but the majority reported short to very short soil moisture levels. Rain was needed badly across the district.